Sunday, April 28, 2019

Patience is a process

"Finish this daughter’s bridal week; then we will give you the younger one also, in return for another seven years of work. And Jacob did so. He finished the week with Leah, and then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife." Genesis 29:27-28 NIV


Image result for walking in park pic
While I was most definitely enjoying logging some miles at the park Saturday, I was a little disheartened at the time it was taking me to do so. Still nursing a hamstring strain (but thankful to be healing), speed-walking has become one of my go-to exercises. But as much as I actually enjoyed the slower pace, my legs longed to run again! Feeling the exasperation of my desire rising, I blurted out, "Just last month you could have done this distance in half the time Melissa!” Before I could sink further into self pity though, God calmed my spirit and reminded me that patience, a "fruit" I desperately needed more of, is only formed through times like these. And you know what? The thought of Him using my current situation to make me more like Jesus put a smile on my face. 

You know, it's no wonder that patience is a highly-valued character trait that followers of Christ should have. I mean, it's easy to act like Jesus when things are moving along and we are seeing progress right? But it's how we react in the waiting periods, the times when things aren’t moving along as we hoped they would, that will show the world whether we are true followers. Consider Jacob. He worked seven long years to take Rebecca, the woman he loved and was called to marry, as his wife - but Jacob was deceived into marrying her sister Leah first. When told he would have to work another seven years to pay for his true love, Jacob didn't hesitate and patiently endured until the debt was paid. 

Perhaps you're in a waiting period today too my friend? Maybe you're waiting to be healed, waiting for some test results to come back, waiting for your spouse to accept the Lord, or waiting for that dream job to open up? Whatever it is you're waiting for, smile and be patient knowing God is using this time of waiting to make you more like Him. 

Heavenly Father, help us to remember that the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset is formed over time. And while it's sometimes hard to accept these periods of waiting, help us to remember that when others see this virtue exhibited in us, it could very well be the thing that leads them to the foot of the Cross. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment