Monday, April 15, 2019

He completely cleanses

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!" Psalm 51:1,2


Image result for breaking chains pic
Expecting to hear from one of my dearest friends who was running in the Boston Marathon yesterday, I was concerned when hour upon hour passed with no word. I soon found out why. "It's Bridge and Dam all over again!" Jim texted in reference to a training run he and I did last year in which he fell near the end of the race and had to be bandaged up at the med tent upon crossing the finish line. "This time I hit my head at mile 12 when I tripped on the side of the road." Thankfully though, he was able to finish and only required a few stitches. The moral of both stories? Falling won't keep you from finishing the race when you refuse to stay down. 

Sadly though, that's what many believers do when they are tripped up by sin and cause pain to themselves or others. They find it hard to believe they can be forgiven and so simply stay down and drop out of the race. But you know what? God forgives all sins. Consider David. After committing adultery with Bathsheba and having her husband killed to cover it up, he was deeply convicted and, you could say, at rock bottom and unable to see a way out. But David repented and God, because of his "steadfast love" and "abundant mercy," had compassion on him and completely cleansed him of his sins. 

Did you get that completely part? My friend, there is no sin so big that God won't forgive and "thoroughly" cleanse you from - meaning there's no reason to hold on to the guilt and shame that keeps you down. So repent, brush yourself off, get back up and get back into the race. It isn't over unless you allow it to be. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that you can and will completely forgive us of our sins if we would simply repent and turn back to You. Help us to truly believe that we can be completely cleansed that we might continue running the race You have set before us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment