Monday, February 25, 2019

If only

"'Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past." Isaiah 43:18 NIV


Image result for shelby houlihan wins two mile pic
In perhaps the most anticipated 2019 USATF event of the weekend, Shelby Houlihan narrowly lost the 1-mile race to Colleen Quigley on Saturday. Not one to dwell on the past though, Houlihan came back with a vengeance the next day to win the 2-mile race and claim her ninth national title in a world lead time of 9:31.38. Speaking of her victory on the heels of her disappointing runner-up finish in the mile, Houlihan said, "I don’t like to lose, and that was a rough one to lose. But I woke up this morning and thought, ‘new day, new race.’ My goal was to come into this race with a positive attitude.”

And you know, when it comes to keeping a positive attitude, there are two words that will steal our hopeful way of thinking every time... if only. You see, if you and I choose to dwell on the "if only's" in life - if only I had done this differently, if only I hadn't done that, if only I had gone back to school, if only I hadn't chosen that path - we will be unable to look ahead and move forward to the better things God has in store for us. Think about it. If Shelby had been caught up in the thoughts of "if only" I had moved quicker or "if only" I had kicked a little more at the end, she would not have had the confident attitude that brought her an even greater victory the next day. 

So I don't know what your "if only" is today my friend, but I do know this. There's a reason the Bible commands us to "forget the former things."  It's because God always has something better ahead for us than anything we have left behind - but if you and I "dwell on the past," we will miss it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that dwelling on things we can't change is of no value to us and only robs us of the time and energy we can place into moving forward. Help us to look up to You when things don't go as planned that we might forego the urge to look back and stay focused on what's ahead. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment