Tuesday, February 12, 2019

A full life

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7 NIV


Competitor RUNNING recently published an article titled, "8 secrets of lifetime runners" in which they revealed the results of a survey that gathered information from more than 50 runners over the age of 60 who have been running for at least 30 years. And the results? Lifetime runners persist through adaptation, acceptance, continuing to race, setting reasonable goals, building friendships and simply refusing to give up. In describing that refusal to give up, Sid Howard, 79, who has held masters records on the track, says he ain’t getting any quicker, but he’s staying strong, particularly in spirit. He hopes to still be racing at 100 and beyond. “My last race will finish at the casket. I’m going to jump in, close the top, and know I have lived a full life.”

Wow! Don't you love his attitude? Coincidentally, this is the same settled way of thinking the apostle Paul had. He was determined to serve the Lord through hardships and trials, refusing to ever give up. Even as he grew older in years, his passion and determination never wavered and he knew what it meant to live a full life. It was living for Christ each and every day - giving his whole being to the pursuit of proclaiming the Gospel. And it was this way of living that led Paul, as he was approaching that final finish line, to say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 

And you know, one day each and every one of us will run that last race and our days will be over. There will be no second chances. We will have either lived a full life serving Jesus and leading others to the Cross or we will have merely existed. I don't know about you my friend but I want that full life. When my time has come, I want to be able to say, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith," 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that our days on earth are short. Help us to develop that settled way of thinking that serving You with our whole heart and life is the only way to live. And then let us live with purpose so that we too can say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 

Happy Running!!!

Til the day I die - Toby Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment