Tuesday, August 21, 2018

My feet are on the Rock

"'Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock." Matthew 7:24, 25 NLT


Related image
I was almost giddy as I arrived at our small-town school's track early in the morning to get in some speedwork. This newly-built "track", if you can call it that, is not standard size and is covered in pea gravel but it makes for a flat, soft surface to train on and I was thrilled to have it. And on this day, with the bulldozers hard at work around the sides and below the track as the supervisors watched. it looked like they were making it bigger! "Are you all expanding the track?" I eagerly asked. To which one of them replied, "No ma'am, we are just trying to keep it from washing away." 

It seems this track, which has a large drop off on one side, was built upon dirt and the recent rains had caused that dirt to shift and break off. And as I peered over the side at the dramatic dropoff and surveyed the damage for myself, it reminded me once again why Jesus said that "anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock." You see, had the builders built it "on bedrock", it would not be collapsing. Just as the person whose foundation or life is constructed or built upon the Word and listening to, learning and following, the commands of Jesus will not "collapse" or fall when the inevitable storms of this life "beat against" them. 

So may you and I be "wise" today my friend and surrender our lives to Jesus so that we might be able to confidently proclaim, in any situation, "I can see the clouds roll in. I can feel the wind as they try to shake me. I will not be moved... My feet are on the rock."

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that if we place our trust and our lives anywhere but in You, we will fall apart. Help us to truly understand the benefits of surrendering our lives to You that we might do that very thing today and know that our futures are secure no matter what storms might be raging around us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

My feet are on the Rock - I am They

No comments:

Post a Comment