Sunday, October 15, 2017

Our best years

"But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel." Philippians 2:22


Image result for serving others pic

As a person who once considered herself to be pretty fashionable, I was disheartened to hear my kids tell me that I was most definitely not up to date on styles and the jacket I was eyeing looked like something their Grandma would wear. Standing in the department store, the lady browsing the same rack said, "It's okay, my kids tell me the same thing." As we laughed and talked some more, we realized that we were the same age and agreed that the years had surely flown by since the days we had been fashionable. Noticing that the thought appeared to make her glum, I listened as she asked, "Does it make you sad that our best years are behind us?" "Oh honey," I said, "they're not. You just need to rediscover your purpose." I then shared how God was using me and could do the same for her... at any age.

And you know, the life of Timothy is one of the greatest examples of how God can use a person throughout a lifetime. The Bible tells us that Timothy learned about the scriptures when he was a young child and was believed to be in his early thirties when he was ordained to serve by Paul. Timothy then accompanied Paul on many of his missionary journeys, ministered in at least five New Testament churches and coauthored several books of the Bible before being martyred at the age of 80. He was so intent on serving Christ that Paul wrote, "Timothy has proved himself because.. he has served with me in the work of the gospel."

So you see, if you and I are serving Christ, our "best years" are never behind us. Our service to the Lord might change as we age but our labor is no less important or fulfilling. And living for the purpose of doing "the work of the gospel" is the only way to ensure that you and I will have made the "best" of our "years." Don't you agree? 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that gives us so many examples of how a life filled with the purpose of doing the work of the gospel can have eternal consequences in the lives of others. Help us to realize that, while the way we serve may change, our purpose never does. May we live our whole lives devoted to the cause of sharing Jesus Christ with the world. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Worthy of my praise - Jeremy Camp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGzu6oI9b4

No comments:

Post a Comment