Sunday, March 1, 2015

Little Rock Marathon 2015

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." Hebrews 10:24


Leny Richards of TEAM413 walked her first marathon
She boasted that her new "friend" found her at mile 16
when she was ready to quit and encouraged her to finish.


This year's theme for the Little Rock Marathon centered on water, mermaids and pirates-quite fitting for an event held in the rain with many of the runners donning buccaneer costumes and sporting hooks for hands. Gotta love crazy runners! The cool weather and drizzle didn't seem to "dampen" anyone's spirits though, especially those of the volunteers and spectators. For those brave enough to "walk the plank" and run the 13.1 or 26.2 miles, it was a great race despite the conditions. The course provided a closeup view of historic homes, sites and beautiful scenery. The water and aid stations were impressively plentiful as were the post race refreshments. Despite not getting their famous medals in on time, they provided us with a pretty cute substitute along with a promise to deliver the other ones as soon as they could. Two medals for one race turned out to be a pretty good deal and I'm looking forward to doing this race again next year (God willing of course). Great job Little Rock!

One thing I learned at this race is just how contagious joy and encouragement can be. Not quite halfway through the race, we ran by a building with many windows in front. As I looked to the side, I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection. What I saw was definitely not what I wanted anyone else to see... me. I immediately prayed, "Lord, let them see You in me. Let Your light shine through me." And then I realized just how to do that... encouragement and joy! I spent the rest of the race in pursuit of sharing that. 

Although the race started at 8:00 a.m., those athletes walking the marathon were offered a 6:00 a.m. start. By mile 10, many of the runners were catching up to them.  I have so much respect for these men and women that pursue the finish line-I know the effort that goes into completing a 26.2 mile goal, whether walking or running. And I've been on the receiving side of a motivating word or shout enough times to know that it makes a difference. Filled with a renewed purpose, I shouted out "good job, looking good, you've got this" or some other encouraging remark to each one I passed. As I did, it seemed those around me caught on and were doing the same! Midway through the race, I began giving high fives to other runners I passed in the turnaround loop. And what do you know? It was catching on, it was contagious. For a brief moment, many of them smiled and encouraged those around them and then kept on moving, intent on reaching that next mile marker. But for that moment, there was a bit of happiness and hope. And isn't that what Christ would do? 

Heavenly Father, no matter where we are or what we are doing, may we always remember that, as Christians, we are to be reflections of you. Let us never miss an opportunity to spur others on to love and good deeds that You might be glorified through our actions. Help us to be bold encouragers to those we meet that they would want to come to know more about the Reason for our hope, happiness and joy. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

With every act of love - Jason Gray



No comments:

Post a Comment