Wednesday, March 25, 2015

your heart's desire

"Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4



God knows our motives, there's no doubt about it. Psalm 139:2 tells us, "You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar." He knows that I love to bring home the medal after each race and let the kids hang it up as they listen to the story of what God did on that particular day. Some time ago though, I took part in a race that offered medals only to the top finishers (something I never am). I was running the race as I normally do, clothed in my TEAM 413 shirt and looking for opportunities to encourage, help or share the Gospel on the race course.

But I felt unusually strong as the hours and miles went by in silent prayer. I had decided that, after the race, I would pick up a stone off the course and bring it home to my children. Psalm 78:35 says, "And they remembered that God was their rock, And the Most High God their Redeemer." I was going to explain to them that, sometimes the reward is not in what you get from a race but what you learn from it. That rock was to remind me, and them, that Jesus was always there and He was all we needed. Time spent with and serving Him was my reward, the only medal I needed.

Mile after mile passed and, amazingly,  my pace never slowed. I was just fast enough that day (and my competition not) to actually win that medal. Wow! God gave me the desire of my heart! I truly understood that verse now and I cried all the way home. When I handed it to my daughter to hang up, I told her, "I got this at the race but God is the one who really gave it to me." And then I shared the story....

Heavenly Father, thank you for the little things in life that remind us how much you love and care for us. You know our thoughts and motives. Help us to align our wants and desires with your will. Place in us a desire to serve you simply becuase you are worthy of all our praise, worship and adoration. May we love you with a heart that delights in you every day. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org


I give you my heart - Michael W. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment