Wednesday, May 25, 2022

We must be the workers

“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.“ Matthew 9:36-38 NIV


Like many other people around the world yesterday, my heart was broken by the shooting at the Robb Elementary School in Ulvade, TX on Tuesday that left 22 people dead. In fact, I was so upset over it (and all the other evil things being done to our children right now) that I stopped on my morning run to sob. Thankfully, as the Lord has done many times in the past, He arranged for my dear friend Dawn to intersect my path on her way to work at the moment I needed her. Upon seeing Dawn, I did my best to compose myself to no avail and so explained the reason I was so upset. “Sorry,” I said to her after we chatted and she comforted me. “I just can’t wrap my mind around this.” Five minutes after she drove off though, I had to smile as I slowed down to read the text she sent me, “Just want you to know that you don’t need to be sorry. God had a hand in us meeting this morning. I prayed for you and know that it’s okay to not be okay sometimes. Love you.” “I so needed that today Dawn,” came my reply. “I love you so much. And I love how the Lord arranges our meetings when we need it. My prayer is that our hearts will not only break for what breaks His but that they will break so deeply that it will move us to action.”

And you know, as bad as our world is right now, there are no signs of anything improving. In fact, Matthew 24 says these are just the beginning of birth pains. Which is the very reason the prayer, “Break our hearts for what breaks Yours' so deeply that it moves us to action Lord” is so extremely important to pray. You see, the Bible tells us that Jesus’ heart broke for those people who were “harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” But I imagine it must have also broken his heart to know that there weren’t enough workers in the fields to bring in the harvest. That makes my heart break too as I hope it does yours. My fellow believers, it’s time for us to move! It’s time for us to not only pray for more workers to come alongside us but to head “into his harvest field” ourselves! 

So as you watch the events of the last days unfolding before your eyes, look up my friend. Jesus is coming back soon! And when He does, may He find us diligently co-laboring alongside one another to bring in the harvest. Now is the time!

Heavenly Father, please break our hearts for what breaks Yours’ that we might share the same compassion Jesus had for the hurting and the helpless. Help us to stand up for what’s right despite the opposition and to boldly share the Good News despite the rejection and persecution we can expect to receive in the coming weeks and months. Lord, please cause us to be tenacious in our pursuit to lead the lost to the foot of the Cross while there's still time. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment