Tuesday, May 24, 2022

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Make the Most of It

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about heat and humidity and a lesson that we can all learn from it as summer approaches. This is a lesson that I hope will motivate you to say, "Yes! Bring on summer!" rather than "Oh boy, summer's on the way." 

But first let's discuss one way hot weather affects your running... 


It makes you slower. That's right. But guess what's so great about making the decision to embrace slowing down at least for the two weeks it takes for your body to acclimate to the rising mercury and atmospheric moisture? It can keep you from getting frustrated and give you a reason to live in the moment and just be present. 

What do I mean by that? Well... I've been running for three decades now and at the beginning of every summer before I made the decision to slow down while the acclimatization process was happening, I would get so frustrated! "Aaarrgh! I'm so slow," I would yell out loud! But this did absolutely no good and only stole some of the oxygen I so desperately needed to complete those first couple hot weather runs of the season. So a few years ago (what can I say? I'm a hardhead), I finally threw in the towel and decided that rather than fight the process that was crucial to being able to enjoy running for the remainder of the balmy summer season, I would make the most of it. 


So here's the deal. If you're training in temperatures above 60 degrees, you'll need to adjust your pace to compensate for the heat: If it’s in the 60s, add at least 5 seconds per mile; in the 70s, add at least 10 seconds per mile; and in the 80s, add at least 15 seconds per mile. And if you're running in the 90s (who does that right?), you'll need to do way more than just adjust your pace. You'll need to add in some walking breaks. Throw humidity into the mix though, and you'll have to adjust your pace even more. 


If the thought of slowing down has you feeling irritated already (especially if you're enjoying these cool mornings like I am), let me share with you the way I "make the most of it" and how you can too. Decide in advance to smile and embrace the extra time it's going to take you to knock out your daily run by choosing to live in the moment. Simply said, living in the moment means being conscious, aware and in the present with all of your senses. It means not dwelling on the past, nor being anxious or worrying about the future. It means concentrating your attention on the present and focusing on the task at hand. That requires us to give our full attention to what we're doing and let go of our usual expectations about what a training run should look like. Seizing each moment in life allows us to prolong its value and make it more meaningful. I don't know about you but I think periodically taking some time to slow down to be thankful and to reflect on just how great life is, is a good thing. 


So here a few ways you can use this time to live in the moment and reflect on what a blessing it is to run at any temperature: 
  • Listen to your surroundings. I mean really listen. This time of year the birds are singing really loud and creation is stirring. Be thankful for the ability to hear. 
  • Look closely at your surroundings paying extra attention to nature. I did this on my run yesterday morning and was smiling at all the daisies (my favorite flower) that were popping up. Daisies make me happy and I was thankful for eyes to see them. 
  • Close your eyes and take some deep breaths. When was the last time you thanked your Creator for those breaths or for waking up to a new day? Remind yourself that while it might be hot, you're alive to enjoy the run so make the most of it. 
  • If you're blessed to live in the country like I am, stop once in a while to take in the beauty of a stream or a new sunrise. If you're not, head to your local park and check out the landscaping and the other great things it has to offer. 
  • Grant yourself some grace. Remind yourself that some days you're hot and some days you're not... literally. Every run won't be worthy of having a narrator follow you reporting on your every step but every run will be worthy of being thankful for, for at least one reason or another. Choose to find that reason and at least 10 other blessings to count on your run. 
So there you have it friends. You and I can't stop the heat and humidity from coming but we can stop ourselves from fighting it, a fight that we can't win anyway. Allow yourself some time to acclimate to the tropical weather headed this way and smile knowing that there are indeed benefits that come from slowing down. 

HAPPY RUNNING!


No comments:

Post a Comment