Thursday, May 12, 2022

God defines our identity

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9 ESV


“Two months ago, I would have said being a runner was my identity. I lived, ate, and breathed it. I ran every day and my next race was rarely more than a week away. But we are human beings, not human doings. Running is what I did, not who I was. I may never be able to run again. I’m far from assuming that’s the case, but I’ve had to consider the possibility. I’ll still have value, still have purpose if I never take another step without limping.” Those were the words posted by my dear friend Ken Fattmann yesterday who, after suffering a stroke back in March, found his life changed in a way he could never have anticipated or imagined. He, like many other runners who have ever suffered an injury or illness that left them unable to run (me included) for any length of time, has realized that his true identity is not defined by what he can do but by who he is.

And who Ken is, is much more than what anyone can see by looking at him. You see, Ken is a person of great and infinite value that is beyond measure. His value is not based on anything he can do though, but on the One who lives inside of him. His true identity, as is the identity of every believer, is found in Christ who declares us to be “a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession...” Do you get that? We are “special” in God’s eyes no matter what the world thinks of us or how it defines our value. We are so valued in fact that Jesus died and rose again for the forgiveness of our sins. That means when you and I received His sacrifice as a gift, we instantly became His. This is who we are and nothing can ever change that. 

So no matter how you may feel today, your identity in your loving Father is who you are for all eternity my friend. In Him you have incomparable value and an eternal purpose. There’s nothing you could ever accomplish to make Him love you more and nothing you could ever do to make Him love you less. You are His special possession.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are Your chosen children. Help us to see ourselves as you do Lord so that we would not listen to the lies of the enemy when he tells us that we aren’t good enough, strong enough, or smart enough or whispers the million other lies he wants us to believe. May we always remember that our identity is found in You. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment