Tuesday, May 17, 2022

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Break Down the Barriers

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about how finding ways to break down common running or walking barriers can help you make it to the finish line. 

But first, check out this story Denver 7 published on Monday titled, "Double amputee Denver Colfax Marathon runner breaks barriers." 


Every marathon runner has their own reason behind taking on the challenge. One runner made his way through the Denver metro area Sunday morning, participating in the Denver Colfax Marathon and breaking barriers for those living with disabilities. Major Sgt. Cedric King is a double leg amputee and retired military veteran. He lost both of his legs when he stepped on an explosive device in Afghanistan about 10 years ago. Despite what he’s been through, he’s become an endurance athlete, motivational speaker and author. He's also involved with Achilles International, a nonprofit that breaks down barriers to start the line for people with disabilities. He said his faith, friends and family have helped him push through. “I lost both my legs in Afghanistan. Life at that moment was tough. It's made me so much stronger. It's allowed me to see the other parts of life as a little bit easier than it would be had I not gone through this experience," King said. King said he ran in the Boston Marathon less than two years after losing his legs. Since then, he’s completed 13 full marathons and six half marathons.

Wow right? Wow indeed! So in the spirit of breaking down obstacles standing in the way of reaching the finish line of that race you've been dreaming about (whether it be a 5k, 10k or even a full marathon) let us look to Cedric (who lets nothing stop him) as the example to follow as we examine  five of the most common fitness barriers I've seen in my many years of coaching. 


1. I'll never be able to run. You don't have to! This is one barrier that's easily overcome. Walk instead! Find a race that has a generous cut off time and won't leave you feeling pressured. And believe me, these types of races are everywhere. Walking and speed-walking distances from the 5k to the marathon have become so common that most races will allow time for a person to finish. This is especially wonderful because not every one can run or even wants to run. Race Directors all across the United States have been watching this trend for a while (me included) and a growing majority of them have made changes to accommodate those athletes that prefer walking and need extra time to finish. 


2. I don't have enough time to train. This is one excuse that I've heard more times than I care to count. I've said it before and I'll say it again... a person will make time for what's important to them, plain and simple. So if fitting exercise into your life is important (and I hope it is because it will benefit you in more ways than one), try some time swaps. 

- At least 3 times a week, trade an hour of your TV time for time on the treadmill or outside walking or running. Gradually make more swaps until you're on your way to meeting that race goal we talked about earlier.
- Are you an avid reader? Try swapping that paper book for an audio one so you can walk or run while listening.
- Set your alarm a little earlier and trade an hour of sleep for an hour of exercise. Better yet, trade an hour of nightly leisure time to hit the hay an hour earlier and you won't lose any sleep at all. 


3. I'm embarrassed or self conscious about the way I look when I'm exercising. Let me assure first that you're not alone! Many people feel too self-conscious to run and worry about what they look like. The reality is that most people see runners, of every shape and size, on the roads or in the park and look at them with admiration wishing they were in those shoes! It's true! But hey if you're still saying, "That's all good but I don't want people to see me, try these tips. 

- Run or walk early in the morning before the rest of the world is up. It’s a great time to run as you will have the roads or trails to yourself and won’t have to wait for traffic when crossing the road or need to think about how the car drivers see you.
- Run or walk on a treadmill. Some people find the gym environment more friendly than out on the roads or you could invest in your own treadmill and run at home until you have built your confidence.
- Run or walk with a friend that you trust. There's just something about exercising with someone else that makes a person feel less self conscious. 


4. I'm too old. To this barrier, I say NEVER!!! And I'm sure 95-year-old Colleen Milliman would agree. This runner, who didn't step foot on a track until 2017, just set a new 95+ World Record for the mile of 13:46:13. About being too old, Milliman said, "Most of the time people think they are too old at 60 or 70 and they stop doing things. Well, I guess I’m selfish and I don’t like to feel old. I stay active and I laugh at myself a lot.” So no matter your age get out there!!!! 


5. I don't have a clue how to get started. A simple Google search can point you in the right direction. Look for a local running group so you can get plugged into a family of like-minded people that will help you succeed. Check with your local gyms or specialty running stores as well to see what kind of training plans they might have or can refer you to. Most everyone in the fitness industry can give you tips on how to get started or point you to a person or organization who can. And if your goal is a half marathon, trail run, or full marathon, I have great news for you! The Bass Pro Fitness Series training groups will be starting up very soon!!!!! These can be done with the group or on your own.

So there you have it friends. Identify those barriers in your way and then find ways to break them down so you can make it to the finish line. There's no better time to start training for that goal you've been dreaming about than today!

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment