Monday, December 13, 2021

Do it all for the glory of God

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV


In a story titled, "2021 Rock ‘n’ Roll running series draws over 18,000 people to downtown San Antonio," published recently, the writer said each runner had a reason for their race on Sunday, which especially holds true for runner Neil Bendesky. “I have never run an event like this before. I mean I couldn’t even go around the block in 2015, so now, six years later, I’ve gotten better. I’ve overcome that heart attack -- I’ve done 14 half marathons,” said Bendesky. Three Mexican runners finished at the top of the half marathon. “I feel very happy to be here in San Antonio. Very hilly course, but this is a test for us in preparation for the Houston Marathon in like six weeks,” said J.A.E. Perez. Runner Alex Danels finished first in Saturday’s 5k. He says taking the victory is a blessing after he suffered a collapsed lung just last year. “I had to spend about three weeks in the hospital and it was then I decided I’m going to come back home to shut it down for a little bit, try to recover, and out of nowhere running seemed to come back to me. I gradually got back in shape and here I am winning the Rock and Roll 5k,” said Danels.

And you know, as this story shows, there are a variety of reasons that people choose to participate in races. I know I've personally heard lots of inspiring stories in my many years of running describing runners' motives for stepping up to the start line.  And while we, as Christian runners, might also have different reasons why we run distances from the 5k to the marathon, our main reason for doing anything should be "for the glory of God." You see, as Paul clearly stated, "whatever" you and I do should be done to bring honor to His Name. That means living for Him each and every day, laying aside our wants for the good of others, and doing all things without compromise with the intent of winning people to the gospel. 

So in a world where we are commended for winning and doing whatever it takes to come in first, let us be set apart as people who define success as serving Jesus Christ obediently and to the best of our ability. Let us "do it all for the glory of God." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that nothing apart from what we do for You in this world will last. Lord help us to be Kingdom-minded and fixated on bringing You glory rather than ourselves. Help us to follow the example of Paul who did everything for the glory of God. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment