Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Shine bright all year

"No one lights a lamp and covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he sets it on a stand, so those who enter can see the light." Luke 8:18 BSB

To say I was excited to be able to run yesterday would have been an absolute understatement. After taking significant time off to heal from an infection in my shin, I headed into the office well before dawn to run "in town" and then return and shower (at my office.. yes, I have the best job ever) before arriving at my desk at 9:00 a.m. to start the work day. But as I entered the building and the door shut behind me, I found myself in total darkness. "Oh no," I said out loud. "I forgot how dark this hallway is this time of year." Thankfully though, after taking some very careful steps and rounding the corner, I was met with the glowing lights from the Christmas tree that had been left shining in the window overnight. "Oh Lord," that's beautiful I thought smiling as I gazed at the bright white bulbs adorning the holiday evergreen. "It's exactly what I needed to find my way out of the darkness and into the light where I could gather my supplies before heading out for some much needed fresh air and exercise." 

And you know, Christmas trees aren't the only thing that should be shining bright this time of year. The light of Christ in every believer should be shining as well. Not just in the month of December, though, but all year round. You see, when Jesus said, "No one lights a lamp and covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed," He was making it very clear that you and I are to shine the light of Truth into this dark world at every opportunity so that "those who enter can see the light" and find their way out of the darkness. That means not being afraid to "set" our faith, convictions, and beliefs on display for all to see or to speak the Truth that sets men free; and on every occasion living on fire for Christ. 

So in the words of John Wesley, "Light yourself on fire with passion and people will come from miles to watch you burn.” Can you just imagine what our world would be like if we all vowed to do this? If we were all so passionate about sharing the Truth that we couldn't keep it to ourselves?  I don't know about you my friend but I want to find out.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are to be the light of Jesus in this dark world. Help us to not let fear, risk of embarrassment, the threat of persecution, or any other thing cover our lamps in any way. Give us the boldness to shine bright Lord so that the lost might see the Truth and be led out of the darkness. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment