Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The things we take for granted

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17 NIV


As I turned the corner to head down to the park on my run early yesterday morning, I slowed down to a walk to read the sticker on the back of a truck parked along the way. "Someone else is praying for the things you take for granted," it read. "Oh my," I thought to myself. "Isn't that the truth?" And then I began to meditate on the many things I took for granted... electricity, clean water, a full refrigerator, two amazing children, parents that are still alive, friends that I consider family, a roof over my head, a job that I love, the ability to run, dirt roads to run on, the freedom to worship my Savior, and the list went on and on. "So many people are indeed praying for the things you have Melissa... the things you take for granted" I said silently as I tried in vain to hold back tears. Sadly though, I know I'm not alone. If the definition of taking something or someone for granted is failing to properly appreciate it or them, especially as a result of overfamiliarity, I would bet that the majority of people in the world admit to taking "things" for granted.

And you know, the Bible is very clear that every good and perfect "thing" that you and I possess "is from above" which means when you and I take those things we have for granted, we take God for granted. That's not a very nice thought is it? But think about it.... when you and I fail to thank God for His daily provision we develop an "overfamiliarity" that leads us to not only take those provisions for granted but to develop an entitlement mentality. So how can we avoid taking God's blessings for granted? By taking some time before we start each and every day to thank God for all that He has given us. Then throughout our day, pausing to remember all of God's blessings. You see, when we thank God for what He has given us and look back on all that He has done, we can't help but stay focused on His goodness and grace.

So let us be ever-mindful to remember that every "good and perfect gift" is an undeserved blessing that we should never take for granted my friends. Something we can only do when we keep praise and gratitude on our lips and thanksgiving in our hearts. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us when we didn't love you and for granting us so many blessings that we don't deserve. Lord help us to understand just how good and generous You are so that we would not ever take the gifts you give us for granted. Help us to be thankful for even the smallest of things so that we wouldn't fail to be thankful for the big things as well. Help us to live a life of perpetual praise and thanksgiving. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment