Wednesday, October 6, 2021

God uses others to answer our prayers

"In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!” “Yes, Lord,” he answered. The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying." Acts 9:10-11 NIV


As the director for the recent Frog Hill Half/10k race, my job was to ensure that everything went well, starting with the packet pickup early Saturday morning. "Oh no," I thought as I pulled up to the school building we had reserved for the event only to find that it was locked "Oh Lord," I quickly prayed as I surveyed the dark and empty parking lot. "Help me. Runners will be here anytime now and we need a place to set up." Then, after pulling on the handle one more time, I set out to find help. And that's when I saw Stacey (didn't know her then but she soon became my friend) who was exiting the school bus she had been driving after being told the event she would be transporting the students to was canceled (talk about divine timing). It soon became apparent that, while I had been praying for help, Stacey had been praying for inspiration to make it through the second day of the 75 Hard Program she had embarked on. And, in Stacey's words, this is how the Lord answered both our prayers. Hello my name is Stacey Jorgensen and Friday I decided to start my journey. It was going well then Saturday came along. My bus trip was going to be an extreme challenge to make my goals for the day but I was prepared, joyful even to keep moving than my trip was canceled. I was losing hope and needed inspiration to push forward on my goals of exercise. Did I mention it was raining cats and dogs? So instead of getting down I asked God to inspire me. Just at the moment when I was getting ready to leave a voice called out in the darkness. "Excuse me, excuse me" and low and behold my sign from God had come and it would change my outlook. Melissa Martinez had come looking for help. See, she had reserved the FEMA building for the Frog Hill marathon and it was locked up tight. After making some much needed phone calls with no avail I decided to ask my boss if we could just open up the transportation office to help her out. I had no idea the positivity and inspiration it would give me. Seeing all the different faces coming to sign up to run the race while greeting them with a smile and hellos made me realize at the moment something very important. Don't give up, if they can do it so can you. You are stronger than you know. As I locked up the door after they had left I made the decision. By golly I went out in that rain and walked 4 miles with my friend and we have pushed out everyday since then. Thank you Melissa Martinez for the super extreme positive vibes and your love for encouraging others. I have a long way to go but I know that I can do it with excellent support. Jeremiah 29:11. 

Do you just love this story or what? God used me to answer Stacey's prayer and used her to answer my prayer. In fact, God has been in the business of working through willing people to answer prayers for thousands of years. Consider the apostle Paul. After meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus, Paul was struck blind and led into the city where he remained blind for three days; all the while praying for his sight to be restored. A prayer that was answered through "a disciple named Ananias" who simply obeyed the Lord by going where he was told and doing exactly what he was told to do. He went into the house where Paul was, placed his hands on him and Saul's sight was restored. Wow right? 

So knowing that God is still working through ordinary people to answer the prayers of others, look and listen for opportunities to be used my friend. You'll not only bless the person whose prayer was answered through you but will be blessed yourself knowing that the Creator of the universe, who could have chosen anybody, chose you. Does that put a smile on your face or what? 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that You not only hear our prayers but that You have already set people in place to answer those prayers. Lord, the events of Saturday morning can only be explained as divine intervention and for that I thank You and praise You. Thank You for answering my prayer and for working through me to answer Stacey's prayer. You are a good and awesome God. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment