Sunday, October 17, 2021

The morning brings hope

"Answer me quickly, Lord;my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Psalm 143:7-8 NIV


As I stepped up to the start line of the Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd early Saturday morning, I smiled. "This is going to be great Lord. I can't wait to experience some of those 'gently rolling hills' the race description described." But I soon discovered very quickly that those 'gently rolling hills' were anything but gentle. Those hills were very rocky, very steep, and at times, very hard to navigate. Especially as the day turned into night and my dear friend and pacer, Gretchen, joined me for what was to be the last 40 miles of the run. "I'm so sorry," I said to her as she started her shift. "This course is way more difficult than I told you it would be. It's covered with a lot of big rocks and is super hilly. In fact, it's downright difficult." But as she and I headed out, we could never have imagined how 'downright difficult' it would really be. Not only did she and I have to contend with the rocky course and the elevation, but the temperatures dropped to the point that we were shivering before a deep fog moved in, greatly limiting our vision and making us even colder. As we pressed on I told her at one point, "I'm so discouraged. This is so hard and I know we both want to give up. But if we can just keep moving until the sun comes up, everything will change." And sure enough, it did. As the sun began to rise Sunday morning, Gretchen and I became downright giddy. "We can do this!" I told her. "We sure can," she replied smiling. 

And you know, there will come a time in every believers life when they will become discouraged or lose hope. Even David, described as a man after God's own heart, experienced these feelings. So much so that he beseeched the Lord to act quickly before his depression deepened and said, "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you." David knew, as Gretchen and I did, that if he could just press on through the hardships darkness brings that his hope would be restored in the morning. Gretchen and I had faith that the new sunrise would remind us of God's "unfailing love" and give us a renewed strength and will to press on. And let me tell you... the dawning of a new day was just what we needed. 

So friend, if you're feeling down, discouraged, or despondent today, don't lose hope. Go out and watch a new sunrise and let it remind you of God's "unfailing love" for you; a love that will give you strength through the hardest times of your life and compel you to press on to the finish line. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that when we place our trust in You, we have no reason to be shaken. Lord, in the dark and difficult days that are sure to plague every believer (especially in the days to come), help us to remember that You are in complete control, that we can call on You to save us, and that every new sunrise is a reminder of your promises to us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment