Thursday, August 12, 2021

Drink often and drink much

"A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water." Psalm 63:1 NKJV


As I headed out on my morning run early yesterday, I stopped briefly to look at my outdoor plants. "Oh no!" I thought to myself, "You forgot to water them last night." Running short on time but knowing that they would never survive the mid-day mercury level that was projected to rise well over 100 degrees on the heat index, I took the extra time to water them. Which led me to contemplate just how important daily water is to live... not just for plants, but for the Christian. Which is the very reason that I take the time to sit down each and every morning to immerse myself in the Word—knowing from experience that missing even one day of doing this quickly leads to spiritual drought; a condition marked by anxiety, depression, lack of focus, and a tendency to wander outside of God's will. 

This intense spiritual need for God is something King David clearly understood, especially as he experienced the heat and dryness "when he was in the wilderness of Judah" and cried out, "O God, You are my God; Early I will seek You; My soul thirsts for you." Did you get that early part? David knew that the only thing that would quench his spiritual thirst was to be hydrated in the Word. He recognized the world for what it was.. "a dry and thirsty land" that would steal his joy and lead him astray without the spiritual water and guidance that only God could provide; something he needed each and every morning, and something you and I need too. 

So if you're feeling anxious, depressed or downtrodden today, check your hydration habits my friend. If you're only hydrating in the Word on Sunday, you will immediately start feeling the effects of dehydration by Monday and will be desperately thirsty by Saturday. So take it from a running coach, drink often and drink much, physically and spiritually. You'll be so glad you did. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we cannot survive very long without the spiritual water that You bring us. Cause us to seek You first each and every day that we would be able to run the Christian race to the absolute best of our ability. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment