Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Pay it forward

"A generous soul will prosper, and he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 12:25 BSB


Having endured my fair share of injuries over the years that forced me to withdraw from several races, I knew the pain my friend, Rebecca, was feeling last week when she received a diagnosis that would require several months of rest to heal from. Rather than wallow in her grief, though, Rebecca said, "What do you do when you cannot run the race due to injuries? You first go through the stages of grief, and then you pay it forward. I recently had to transfer my bibs for the Katy Trail 50K and Bass Pro Marathon. I was so mad and depressed at first, but there are so many who want to run. For one person, it’s her first marathon and for the other, the race sold out quickly (and they didn't get in). Now, I am not doing this for accolades, but I refused to be reimbursed for those races. It’s selfish really; I pay it forward because it brings me joy to see others happy. I will also be able to watch them enjoy their races! How cool is it that I now get to crew for my amazing friends at Katy! I am still bummed about not being able to run those races, as I trained extremely hard for 7 months and would have killed them. However, I will still be able to enjoy them with the people I love." Do you just love her attitude or what? Do you see the joy she gained from blessing others?

And you know, when it comes to being generous, the Bible tells us that "a generous person will prosper." And while you might consider that to mean "a generous person," or person who shows kindness to others above what is expected, will be blessed financially, consider that to prosper also means to flourish physically. But you can be sure that "the generous person" will flourish more than just physically because "he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." That means "a generous person" will grow and thrive spiritually, mentally, and emotionally too. Generosity brings the giver joy just as Rebecca stated... "I pay it forward because it brings me joy to see others happy."

So if you have the means and opportunity today, pay it forward my friend. Bless someone out of the blessings the Lord has given you. It doesn't have to be with something as big as an entry fee--it could simply be buying a stranger a cup of coffee or paying for the person behind you in the drive-thru lane. Whatever it is, just do it. You'll be surprised at how much joy it will bring you and the ripple effect it will have.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that when we bless others we, ourselves, are blessed and refreshed. And while we know this to be true, let our motive in giving to others be solely out of our love for You and our desire to see those receiving the blessing come to the foot of the Cross. Help us to be generous Lord knowing that we only give what You have given us and that the supply of blessings You have for us will never run dry. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment