Sunday, February 2, 2020

Run from temptation

"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." 1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT

Related image

Knowing in advance that I'd probably eat a little more than usual due to the abundance of finger foods that would line our kitchen counter for the viewing of the Super Bowl yesterday, I added in a walk after church in addition to my early morning run. But as I was preparing the buffalo chicken dip my daughter had requested, I knew I was in trouble from the first sample. "Just one little bite," I thought to myself as I tested it out. But when I found myself going back multiple times saying, "Okay, this is the last bite," without it truly being the late bite, I knew I needed to distance myself from the addictive appetizer and so laced up my shoes and went out for another walk. 

And you know, when it comes to temptations, the Bible is clear that everyone will experience them in life. But thankfully, the Bible also tells us that "God is faithful" and "will not allow the temptation to be more than" you and I "can stand." Which means anytime we are tempted - whether it be by food or the desire to sin - God will always give us "a way out" so that we can withstand the urge to do something we know we shouldn't do and walk away. 

So knowing that God always provides the strength to endure any and every inclination to sin, let us look for the "way out" He promised to provide any time we experience these unholy urges. And then let us run as quickly as we can away from that thing, person or situation enticing us to stray from God's good and perfect will, determined to never look back.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for always giving us a way out when wrong desires entice us to stray from what we know is right. Help us to realize that we don't have to rely on our own willpower to overcome addictions and temptations but can look to You to provide the power we need to run to safety. It's in Your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment