Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Be thankful for discipline

"Blessed is the man whom you discipline, O LORD, and whom you teach out of your law, to give him rest from days of trouble, until a pit is dug for the wicked." Psalm 94:12-13

Image result for father gently disciplining child pic

When one of the participants in the couch to 5k program I'm blessed to teach posted "Got my 26 Intervals in outside!! I even had some slopes or what I would call HILLS when running up them!", I had to gently remind her that her workouts were to be on nonconsecutive days. "Yesterday should have been a rest day" I wrote. "I love your enthusiasm but want to keep you free from injury. Adding too much mileage too quickly can sideline a runner and we don’t want that!!" Thankfully though, she understood I was teaching her to train properly because I cared for her and so said, "Thank you for keeping an eye on me!" 

And you know, when it comes to being trained to avoid doing things that might hurt us, the psalmist was grateful for God's intervention saying, "Blessed is the man whom you discipline, O LORD, and whom you teach out of your law, to give him rest from days of trouble..." You see, left without Parental supervision, you and I will inevitably stray from God's path and find ‘trouble.’ Which is exactly why the Lord, who cares for us beyond our comprehension, will use discipline to steer us back to the right course and train us to stay there. 

So when you are disciplined, be thankful my friend. Don't fight it and don't resist it. Welcome it and be grateful for it knowing the Lord cares too much for you to leave you as you are. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for always keeping Your eye on us and for disciplining us when we go astray. Help us to graciously accept the correction You give knowing it's done out of love, to keep us safe, and to make us more like You. It's in Your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

O Sacred King - Matt Redman

No comments:

Post a Comment