Sunday, September 22, 2019

Lord prepare me

"Then the LORD told Moses, “Go down and prepare the people for my arrival. Consecrate them today and tomorrow, and have them wash their clothing. Be sure they are ready on the third day, for on that day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai as all the people watch." Exodus 19:10,11


Related image
Waking up before sunrise Sunday, I poured myself a cup of coffee and then settled in for my normal morning Bible study before heading out the door for a much-needed run. And I say much-needed because my Sunday runs are a much-needed time to make my heart ready for worship later at church... something that is extremely important to me. You see, these runs when I’m all alone on the trail with the Lord, praise music softly playing through my earbuds, are the times I relish in His presence and prepare my heart to meet Him later in worship service by first thanking Him for all that He has done, for all that He is to me, and acknowledging that it is only by His grace that I will soon have the undeserved privilege of entering the house of the Creator of the universe. 

And you know, church is not just a building with four walls but a place where God's Spirit resides. And while many people enter into its' doors flippantly and without reverence for the One who dwells there, I don't want to be one of them. You see, the Bible is very clear that our hearts should be ready to experience God's presence before we enter into worship, something the Lord clearly stated to Moses when He said, "Go down and prepare the people for my arrival. Consecrate them.. have them wash their clothing.. Be sure they are ready..." And we make ourselves ready by setting apart much-needed time beforehand to remind ourselves that God is a holy God, a God deserving of our utmost respect and worship, and that we, no matter how many times "wash" our clothing, are still dirty sinners and only allowed to enter into God's sanctuary because of His amazing grace. 

So the next time you're getting ready to enter God's house, won't you take the extra time to really prepare? To spend some time alone with the Father and say, "Lord, I know I'm a sinner and that it's only by your grace that I can enter through the doors of my church today. Would you please open my heart to experience the fullness of your love and to worship with a heart fully aware of the sacrifice that allows me to do so?"

Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of grace and mercy. Thank You for Jesus' sacrifice on the cross that gives us eternal life rather than the death sentence we are due. Oh Lord, prepare our hearts each and every day to worship you as we should and especially before we enter into church to worship alongside our fellow believers. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment