Sunday, September 15, 2019

When God moves us

"And Saul approved of their killing him. On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria." Acts 8:1 NIV


Forced to walk the running interval portions  of the Couch to 5k program I was teaching last week, my friend, Jacquie, expressed her frustration, "I just hate being injured," she said. "I'd so like to be running right now. But this did make me sign up at the YMCA so I can cross-train." "Well," I replied. "I most definitely feel your pain when it comes to enduring forced time off. But I know God has used interruptions like these in my life to place me in specific places to encounter someone who needed to hear the Good News. Perhaps that's why you're at the YMCA? Maybe there's a person there that needs to hear about Jesus?" Smiling, she looked at me and said, "Yes, I believe that person is my sister. I guess not being able to run isn't so bad after all." 

And you know what? Jacquie is right. Being 'forced' to go somewhere we don't want to go due to an injury or other painful set of circumstances isn't always so bad. Consider the early church. The Bible tells us that it was growing rapidly. But it was only when "a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria" that the Gospel began its' spread to the ends of the earth. 

So you see, sometimes it takes persecution or suffering to get us to move out of our comfort zones and into places we would not have ventured otherwise. And while you and I may not enjoy undergoing this pain, distress or hardship, we can keep a joyful heart during the process knowing that God might very well be placing us in the exact place we need to be to share the Good News with someone. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that nothing that You do is ever in vain. Help us to patiently endure suffering as we look past our pain and to the way You can be glorified through it. Lord, please cause us to remember that we are not put on this earth to simply enjoy our days but to be your servants and messengers of the Gospel. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment