Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Embrace the ugly

"Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant." Galatians 1:10 NLT


Image result for runners feet pic
"Eeeeewwwww!" the young girl at the elementary school I was teaching a running program at said as she looked down at my toes, ravaged from the previous weekend's 50 mile race. "I know," I said. "Pretty gross huh?" Shaking her head as she looked back down, eyes seemingly fixed on the ugliest toe that had a fresh gap where a toenail had been just 24 hours earlier. "This is what happens when you run a lot of miles," I said. "But it's okay," I reassured her. "They won't be ugly forever. They will eventually grow back." "Well that’s good," she said smiling in a way that conveyed what I can only imagine she was thinking, "why would anyone want to run enough to make their feet look like that?" 

And you know, the truth is my feet are ugly, very ugly, at least right now anyway. And while I could have possibly worn close-toed shoes rather than sandals to avoid being judged or lose the approval of a few people, it would have been painful. And besides, "pleasing people" is not my goal in life. Being "Christ's servant" is - which should be every believers' goal. But guess what? If you and I are "trying to win the approval of people," we will never live and serve with abandon and in complete surrender to Christ, fully devoted to complete the purpose for which we are called to no matter the cost.  

So may you and I seek only the approval "of God" my friend, enthusiastically and unashamedly doing anything He has called us to do whether the world approves or not. After all, in the end His approval will be the only thing that matters. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that your approval of us matters more than the approval of the world. Help us to rejoice when our behavior sets us apart as strange Lord knowing that our strangeness leads others to seek out the reason we are joyfully set apart. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment