Thursday, March 8, 2018

Word of life

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11


Image result for person holding bible pic


"Word of life. Speak to my weary heart, strengthen my broken parts...” Those were the words I was singing out loud just as my music player went completely dead nearing the end of my run yesterday. But you can be sure that I didn't miss a beat. I continued to sing the song for the next half mile. And then I sang another worship song. and then another, and another until I had completed my workout. Somewhere along the way I smiled at the realization that I could continue to sing these songs because, after listening to them over and over, I had memorized the words.

And you know, when it comes to memorizing words so they can be recalled when needed, David knew doing that very thing was vitally important to his spiritual life. In fact, he wanted to know the Word and keep it so near that he studied it and hid it in his heart, buried deep down, the way a person would hide the most valuable treasure. And you can bet that it was the most priceless treasure David knew he could ever possess. He knew the Word was his lifeline and the very thing that kept him close to the Lord and away from partaking in any sin that might jeopardize that relationship. 

And since the Word was hidden in his heart, David had access to it at all times. Even without a Bible or someone to play a worship song, he could recite the words and sing songs of praise. And shouldn't knowing and storing up the Truth be the goal of every Christian? After all, as the song went on to say, "There is a new song in my soul. And it begins when I breathe in... Your word of life."

Heavenly Father, thank You for your Word that lets us know You so intimately. Renew our passion to read it more that we might hide the Truth in our hearts and reap the benefits of a closer relationship with You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Word of life - Jeremy Camp


No comments:

Post a Comment