Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Your choice

"When the men of that place asked him about his wife, he said, "She is my sister," because he was afraid to say, "She is my wife." He thought, "The men of this place might kill me on account of Rebekah, because she is beautiful." Genesis 26:7

Image result for choices pic

Second to following Jesus Christ, passing on a love of running to my children has always been my desire. So you can imagine my joy when my son chose to do his first half marathon with me last June and then how even happier I became when he chose to join me again for another one in November. Knowing that watching my behavior inspired his choice made me smile. It's certainly nice when our kiddos emulate our good qualities isn't it? But what about when they copy our bad ones? 

Which is exactly what Isaac did when he told the Philistines that Rebekah was his sister, "because he was afraid to say, "She is my wife.". Fearing that he would be killed because she was so beautiful, Isaac lied. In fact, he told the same exact lie that his father, Abraham, had told the people of Gerar years earlier when he said Sarah was his sister. And you know what? They both experienced disastrous results for doing it. You see Isaac had a choice, he could either learn from his parents' mistake or he could repeat it. 

Sadly today, there are many people doing the same thing. They see the bad choices their mom or dad made and still choose to follow them expecting that they will have a different outcome. But, as the story illustrates, the consequences for sin don't change. So, no matter what things our parents or caregivers did, we all have a choice... learn from their mistakes or repeat them. The choice is yours. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for being the God of second chances. Help us to reach out to the lost and hurting people Lord and to boldly remind them that they don't have to repeat the sins of their parents. And that, by choosing to follow Jesus Christ, they can be released from the cycle of addiction, divorce or any other bad behavior that they have witnessed. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

I choose - Becka Shae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG-Nh8zGkSA

No comments:

Post a Comment