Tuesday, May 31, 2016

House hunting?

"In My Father’s house there are many mansions. And if not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you to Myself, that where I am, you may be also." John 14:2,3


Last weekend I was blessed to participate in the Gracerunner Journey 72 hour relay in Seacoast, Florida. Since we were all running a main loop the majority of the time, my running partner and I liked to veer off the 'beaten path' to look for new routes or exciting things to see that would occupy our minds. On our second morning, my friend, seeing an Oceanside community sprawling with mansions said, "Hey, wanna do some house hunting?", to which I replied, "Oh yeah, let's do this." As we ran past these beautiful homes surrounded by white sandy beaches, private pools and multi-car garages, we picked out the homes we would purchase the day we said we won the lottery. What a great way to pass the time right?

You know, as charming and elegant as these homes were though, I smiled as I thought how they would all pale miserably in comparison with the one being prepared for every believer. When speaking with the disciples after the Last Supper, Jesus explained that he would be going away to a place they could not follow yet saying, "In my Father's house there are many mansions... And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you to Myself, that where I am, you will be also." You see,  we can look forward to this with certainty because Jesus promised it. When he said that he was going to prepare a place for you and me, Jesus meant it! 

So, while most of us will never have the money it would take to reside in one of these palatial estates by the ocean, we can be assured of a greater mansion awaiting us. For all those who believe, the promise is true... He is coming again to take us home.

Heavenly Father, thank you so much for the dwellings you have provided us here as we travel to our final destination. May we forever be grateful that you meet our daily needs but also mindful that our time is best spent working towards acquiring an eternal mansion rather than worldly goods. Help us Lord to be humble stewards of all we have knowing what you provide us is all we need. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment