Thursday, May 12, 2016

Say the words

"An open rebuke is better than hidden love! Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy." Proverbs 27:5,6

I was blessed to run with a dear friend yesterday whose input and opinion I trust very much. So when I asked him to watch my form (something I've been working hard on correcting) and tell me if my pronation on my left side looked good, I knew I would hear the truth. Rather than being 'kind' and saying my gait was finally perfect, he pointed out that my right side now looked bad. You see, that's what sincere friends do. They don't tell us what we would like to hear or allow us to continue doing things that might harm us-out of love, true friends correct us. My friend's honesty pointed out a small problem that, left unchanged, could have resulted in large injuries later.

The bible clearly shows us the value of loving correction when it says, "An open rebuke is better than hidden love! Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy." A true friend shows their love by giving us unpleasant advice, directly and openly chastising us when necessary, to keep us on the right path. While these admonishing words may wound or sting for a bit, they are far better for us to hear than the 'nice but untrue' ones being secretly whispered into our ears. And they are even greater still than the kiss from a false friend assuring us all is well as we plunge into danger. 

Margaret Guenther wrote, "We all need friends with whom we can speak of our deepest concerns, and who do not fear to speak the truth in love to us." As much as it hurts. I will choose and cherish those friends that will tell me the truth. And as much as it pains me at times to say words of rebuke, I will be that same friend to others. Will you?

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of friendship. Thank you for those people who will say the words we need to hear especially when we don't want to hear them. Help us to humbly accept and give advice and criticism, when needed, out of love. And help us all to cherish and appreciate the godly friendships you have provided knowing they serve to make us stronger and more mature Christians. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment