Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Wake up

"For you know quite well that the day of the Lord’s return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. When people are saying, “Everything is peaceful and secure,” then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant woman’s labor pains begin. And there will be no escape...So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be clearheaded." 1 Thessalonians 5:2,3,6


While traveling home from a long weekend of running, I fell into a deep sleep only to be unexpectedly and hastily awakened by the thud of the plane's landing gear hitting the runway. Noticing my startled look, the lady sitting next to me remarked, "Now that was a rude awakening, wasn't it?" It most certainly was I agreed. One moment I was snoozing peacefully and the next I was preparing to hurriedly exit the plane. I knew the plane would eventually land but my inability to stay awake left me unprepared when the moment finally arrived. 

The bible also warns us of an event that could be a rude awakening if we are found asleep, or living in a way contrary to what God has commanded us to, warning "that the day of the Lord's return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night." It will be when you and I are thinking and saying that "everything is peaceful and secure" that disaster will come and we will have no escape. How can we avoid that though? By living each day as if the Lord's return was imminent-living our lives free from sin and doing the work God has called us to. 

Suppose Jesus were to return today. Would you be ready to meet him? Would you be living a life pleasing to him or would you be in for a rude awakening caught shocked and unprepared? Let us live each day prepared to welcome Him so that we might not be found "asleep like the others."

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that gives us hope that you will one day return. I pray that if the thought of that makes anyone uncomfortable that today would be the day they would choose to live a life on guard and ready to welcome you at any moment. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Wake up Oh Sleeper



No comments:

Post a Comment