Saturday, May 21, 2016

Open letter to my son at graduation

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13,14


Of the many races I have been blessed to participate in, viewing the finish line has always been kind of bittersweet. In one way or another, even in the hardest and most grueling of runs, I always knew the time spent pushing through was a gift (an undeserved blessing) that I wished would continue. Each race taught me different lessons that left me with memories that I will be forever grateful for. But today I find myself approaching a finish line I hoped would never come-one that I prayed would hold off just a little while longer... just another day, another moment. This one is to be the most bittersweet finish of all.

My dearest son, I have enjoyed every step of this race with you, from your first steps to these. It's been the greatest season of my life and I thank God every day for choosing me to be your mother and allowing me to guide you along your journey to the place you are right now. You and I have both grown and changed and I am certainly the better for it. We have walked this life together with God at our side. To say I'm proud of you is a huge understatement but I don't have the words to say any more. I am proud of you son. I am proud of the man you have become and the walk with Jesus you have embraced. I am proud of you for the choices you have made and the hard work you have done that have led to this day. And I love you with all my heart. I have loved you from the moment I saw you and I will love you for eternity.

Today, as you walk across that stage, there will be bittersweet tears as I thank God for the time we have had together and praise Him for the plans he has for you. I pray that no matter where this life leads you, you will have the courage to stay faithful, upright and uncompromising in your faith. Proverbs 16:3 gives you this promise Luke, "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” Above wealth and fame, may your goal be to press on toward the goal, to commit to the Lord all you do that you might find true success and happiness. Our run together is finished. It was amazing, crazy and worth every step but today you begin your very own. Today you step up to a new start line. Go and make the world a better place.

Heavenly Father, I cannot thank you enough for choosing me to be Luke's mother. I knew he was never truly mine. Let my prayer today and everyday be that he would commit his life to you and trust you to lead the way. And when life gets hard, and it will, that he would recall the many times you have proven yourself faithful and true. Give him the faith that would move mountains Lord and the courage to step out into the unknown. It's in your most precious name I pray, Jesus. Amen. 



Find your wings - Mark Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment