Wednesday, February 24, 2016

What a mess!

"Just then his disciples came back. They were shocked to find him talking to a woman, but none of them had the nerve to ask, “What do you want with her?” or “Why are you talking to her?” The woman left her water jar beside the well and ran back to the village, telling everyone, “Come and see a man who told me everything I ever did! Could he possibly be the Messiah?” John 4:27-29



What a mess! That was my thought as I tried to untangle the cords to my earbuds. Having misplaced the ones I normally use, I found the spares at the very bottom of my running bag tangled up in a heap. And as I worked to make them usable again, I thought of how God had found me in the same way...a total mess. But you know what? He found a way to make me usable in spite of my mess-ups. And he wants to do the same for you.

In the story of the Samaritan woman who had been married five times and was living with a man who wasn't her husband, Jesus found a woman that was, like many of us, messed up. Rather than rebuke her for her sin or ignore her though, he spoke with her and offered her living water. Even the disciples were amazed that he would speak to her since no male would dare speak to a woman of her reputation in public. But that's what Jesus does. He ignores protocol. He meets us at our worst, at our most messed up and offers us the gift of forgiveness. Not after we have cleaned up our lives but while our lives are in shambles.

This woman was made usable as she ran back to the village "telling everyone, "Come and see a man who told me everything I ever did!" So no matter what you have done or the sin you may be in now, Jesus wants to meet you where you are, right in the midst of your mess. It's there that, if you allow him, he will make you usable. Will you allow him?

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would meet us right where we are, even in the middle of our messed up lives and offer us the gift of eternal life. Help us to turn from our ways and to follow you that we might be usable. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Woman at the well

No comments:

Post a Comment