Wednesday, February 3, 2016

No excuses

"The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside! I shall be killed in the streets!”" Proverbs 22:13


Training for a half marathon takes time. It takes many weeks of discipline to get in the many runs that will eventually lead up to race day and the completion of 13.1 miles. That's why I was so surprised to see that my friend hadn't started training until 20 days before his race. Oh my, that's about the time when the athlete who is properly trained and ready would be doing one last long run and then tapering off a bit. Let's face it though, it's easier to make excuses than it is to do the work... I'm too tired, I don't have the time, I'll do it tomorrow, my pinky toe hurts, my aunt's cousin's goldfish died. You get the picture.

Proverbs 22:13 refers to an excuse a lazy person might use to avoid going to work when it says, "The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside! I shall be killed in the streets!”" That excuse sounds silly doesn't it? But that's the way our excuses often sound to others. Rather than being faced with the consequences of putting something off though, wouldn't it be easier if we simply stopped making excuses and started taking our responsibilities seriously?

Michael Jordan once wrote, "Some people want it to happen, some people wish it would happen, and others make it happen." Which one are you? The more important question though is... which one do you want to be?

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us the power we need to accomplish any goal that you have set before us. May we put off making excuses as we work with all our might to bring you glory through our actions and accomplishments. May we be a living sacrifice to you Lord as we realize that nothing is impossible for those that love and trust in you. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org


No Limits - Joshua Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment