Monday, February 15, 2016

Get fitted

"For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared." Ephesians 6:15


The brief ice storm that left a glaze over the roads and yards Sunday morning necessitated the use of trail shoes on yesterday's run. As I heard the crunching of the ice crystals beneath my feet, I was thankful that my shoes, with their heavy duty terrain grabbing lugs, were able to provide the extra traction I needed to 'be fully prepared' to travel the trail before me. 

Speaking of shoes, did you know that in Old Testament times a Roman soldier wasn't 'fully prepared' for battle until he had his shoes on? His sandals were often fitted with nails or armed with spikes to make them hold firm in the ground. As Christian soldiers, we are called to wear shoes too, "the peace that comes from the Good News.." We do this so we will be 'fully prepared' for the battle before us. Being prepared means having a firm foundation and knowledge of the Gospel on which to stand. It's that knowledge that gives us peace in the midst of trials being able to declare, "I am saved! I am redeemed! God is my Savior and nothing can snatch me from his hand!" 

Are your feet fitted with the gospel of peace today? Unshod feet will not only leave you and me without protection but also unable to flee from any sin that threatens to overtake us. So put on those shoes!

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us everything we need to defeat the enemy. Thank you for your Word that should bring us peace no matter what battle is raging around us or in us. May we fit our feet with the peace of the Good News knowing that, through you, we have overcome the enemy and his schemes. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Peace in the midst of the storm - Alvin Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment