Monday, February 1, 2016

Don't be disqualified

"I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:27


Sure. We all know it's possible to be disqualified for wearing headphones in a race, the fine print on most registrations clearly tells us that. But since I've never seen or heard of the rule actually being enforced I, like many other runners, tend to view it as merely a suggestion instead and openly wear them. So you can imagine the surprise among a group of us when a fellow runner was actually disqualified upon completing a half marathon last month for not 'following the rules'. Now next to his name, where there should have been a recorded time, were the letters DQ.

In 1 Corinthians 9:27, Paul said, "I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." Paul wasn't afraid of losing his salvation, he was afraid of losing the privilege of bringing the gospel to others. He knew that if he let his guard down and became idle in his training that he might became entangled in the ways of the world--that he might fall into temptation, perhaps even believing (like many in the world) that God's rules were merely suggestions.

By straying from God's Commandments, even in the smallest and seemingly harmless of ways, you and I are 'breaking the rules' and risk being disqualified. May we take seriously our calling as followers exercising utmost care to discipline our bodies that we might not be declared ineligible for service. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that, while man's laws are not always enforced, your commandments are. May we discipline ourselves to follow them daily, training hard and long like an athlete would pursuing a goal. Help us to stay focused, intent on sharing the Gospel, that we might not be disqualified. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Casting Crowns - Until the whole world hears






No comments:

Post a Comment