Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Turn it on!

"Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105




With such limited daylight hours this time of year, a simple headlamp can be of utmost value to those very early morning or late evening runners that don't want to be banished to the treadmill. Loving both, you can imagine how happy I was to open a package Christmas morning with a brand new one, a headlamp brighter than I have ever had before. Funny thing about them though, I thought to myself as I installed the batteries and flipped the switch, you have to actually turn them on for them to work. Simply owning one and hoping it will allow you to run without stumbling in the dark or go in the right direction clearly will not happen. But isn't this the way we treat our Bibles sometimes?

Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." But how can it light our path if we don't read it? And how can a lamp guide our feet if we don't turn it on? In other words, if we never open our bible, we are walking in the dark! We may own a Bible and may even open its pages from time to time but that, at best, will only provide us with a dim light unable to illuminate the path where God is leading us.

We are living in dark times my friends in which now, more than ever, we need to be studying the Word diligently letting it be a lamp to guide our feet and a light for our path. May it shine bright!

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us everything we need to navigate through the things in this world that would trip us up. Help us to realize that, without knowing you and your word, we are walking in darkness ready to stumble at any time. May we "turn on" the light by reading your word each and every day. It's in our precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment