Sunday, December 14, 2014

The thorn

"I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses." 2 Corinthians 12:5 (NIV)


Runners love to brag to each other. Join a group of them talking and you'll likely hear about someone's latest PR, most recent race or the litany of injuries they are running through. Inevitably the conversation will usually turn to who was able to run through the most pain... the winner gaining a badge of honor among the others - respect. Pain is just an accepted part of running, never very pleasant but a situation that must be overcome. And it is always humbling - a constant reminder that we are not the ones in control regardless of our race statistics.

In 2 Corinthians 12:7-9, the apostle Paul says, "Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me." The bible never tells us what the "thorn" in Paul's flesh was but whatever it was, it caused him enough grief to repeatedly ask the Lord to remove it. There's no doubt that God loved Paul, so why didn't he just take it away? When Paul inquired of God to remove it, He simply said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (V.9). Because of this ailment, whatever it might have been, Paul remained humble and in constant knowledge that God was in control. It's that knowledge that inspired Paul to respond, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (V. 9-10). Because of Paul's response, his relationship with Christ and trust in Christ not only became stronger, he was a witness to all those around him as they saw God working in his life.

While I can't even begin to guess why some people are "blessed" with a thorn and others not, I do know that God is in control of it all. We can choose, like Paul, to embrace it and boast of the good things God has done in spite of and through our weaknesses, hardships or difficulties or we can allow our "thorns" to only bring us pain. As for me, I will boast in my pain and in the victories God allows me to achieve despite them, through Him, by Him and for Him. What a blessing to do so!

Heavenly Father, thank You for all the blessings you have given us. Thank You especially for the hardships, injuries, pain and difficulties. It's through those that we have learned to trust You far more than the brightest day could ever get us to do. Thank You for giving us the strength to overcome and for your sufficient grace. May we forever boast in the power of your grace in our lives. When we don't understand why Lord, give us the faith to accept, embrace and trust your plan for our lives. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Bring the Rain - Mercy Me



No comments:

Post a Comment