Thursday, December 18, 2014

Faithful at any age

"So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come." Psalm 71:18


"Jesus has a purpose for us all. But I never thought He had a purpose like this for me," she said. "And I'm very happy, and honored, and humble. Jesus, I love You, I thank You, and I praise You all my days. Until the day I come home to You." Those were the words of 95 year old Connie Vitolo who has spent the last year crocheting blankets, one at a time, for orphans in India. "Not long ago, Mrs. Vitolo didn't care whether she lived or died. After a bad fall, she had to leave her New Jersey home and move in with her daughter in Virginia. Before long, depression set in."I would pray, 'Jesus, call me home.' But my daughter says, 'No, He don't want you yet,'" she said." Her daughter simply prayed for her mother to find a renewed purpose... and she did. She has made 12 blankets so far and is not slowing down.  http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2014/December/Purpose-Finds-95-Yr-Old-Woman-Who-Prayed-to-Die/

In a world where youth is glorified and the aged deemed "beyond their years of usefulness", it's quite easy to understand why seniors may feel a loss of purpose. But God says, "The righteous flourish like the palm tree...They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the Lord is upright" Psalm 92:12-15. Just as our bodies change as we grow old, God's purpose for us does too. But, rest assured, we do have a purpose at every age... and how we serve in our 20's is as important and valuable to Jesus as how we serve in our 80's and 90's (God willing we live that long).

1 Samuel 12:24 says, "Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you." Faithful service... that's our purpose at every age. "They've come from the streets, you know? They don't have a parent -- they don't have a mother, they don't have a father,". "That's what I want -- people that don't have anybody. And if just one of these can cover them when they're cold, I'll be happy," she said. "I wish I had one here, I would hug them, kiss them." What is God calling you to do? 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us a purpose at every age. Through the example of Connie, you have shown that great things truly come out of despair when we have a calling. I pray that You would reveal that renewed purpose to all those praying for it. May we proclaim the great things you have done for us and praise you with our dying breath. We ask this in your precious name, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Merry Christmas - Third Day














No comments:

Post a Comment