Sunday, December 7, 2014

Safe Haven

"Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven." Psalm 107:28-30 (ESV)


What a downpour we had last Friday morning! Just as I was getting ready for my morning run, it seemed the clouds opened up. Not one to shy away from any weather condition, I slipped on my cap and rain parka and hit the road. Halfway into my run, the rain stopped. Pushing aside common sense, I shed my rain gear by the side of the road where I would come back for it in the car. When the rain returned even heavier 10 minutes later, I was too far away from my protective clothing to go back and finished the run cold, wet and humble. In my desire to "run free", I had left behind the one thing that offered protection choosing to go the route alone and without added "weight".

How many times have I done that with Jesus, I thought? How many times have I "used Him" in times of trouble only to put Him back when the way was clear?  In Matthew 16:24, Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Not follow me when you need me but follow me always... even when there is a load to bear. And in Luke 9:23, Jesus said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." The emphasis here is all and daily. As believers and disciples of Christ, we must, no matter the storms or lack of them, take up the cross and follow Him at all times - not picking it up and setting it down only to keep repeating the process. 

Our walk with Christ must be deliberate every single day. When we try to "run free", we might succeed for a brief period but the storms of life will always find us. And praise God, when that happens, He will be there to make our storms "be still" and guide us to a safe haven.

Heavenly Father, thank You for your hand of protection over our lives. Father, forgive me for the times I have put you aside to do things on my own and thank You for picking up the pieces when my best laid plans have failed. Forgive each and every one of us for the times we have put down the cross and lived for self. May today be the day we make the change to walk forever with You no matter the cost. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.


Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

I have a shelter - Sovereign Grace Music

No comments:

Post a Comment