Sunday, December 28, 2014

Run for the Ranch 2014

"I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." Philippians 3:14


What a day for a race! The 10 am race time was a welcome change from the usual 7 am marathon race starts. Not only did it allow for warmer temps, it also gave me a few hours to sleep in. I had come down with strep throat and was on day 2 of antibiotics so the extra rest was a blessing. Against all advice, I chose to run the race. I did, however, wear a face mask, something I never do in temps above 30 and it was the key to finishing.The race offered a marathon relay and a half marathon, marathon and 6 hour endurance run. The course consisted of a 3.3 ish loop that was to be repeated as many times as necessary to achieve the mileage to complete each runners chosen event. The marathon would require 8 loops. By the end of the first loop, I felt I had made a huge mistake in even starting the race. As I prayed for God's guidance though, I soon started feeling better with each additional lap. I knew from experience that if it was His will, the "gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18. And, so in the words of Forrest Gump, "I ran."

A drizzle/snow/sleet mixture was present throughout the race. No one complained about it though. It was just "one of those things" when you choose to run a race in December. Kinda like with Christmas presents, you get what you get. And, so we all ran...together. The loops created a camaraderie of sorts as we passed each other several times in the course of the race. The volunteers were very encouraging, especially considering they were out in the cold and rain for at least 6 hours. Some of the young men from the Good Samaritan Boys Ranch (one of the charities this race supports) were at the main aid station and were a blessing to all the runners. With cold and smiling faces, they offered water, gatorade, bananas and gels and picked up the cups without complaint. What a great day it was!

Many runners completed their first races this day and it was humbling to witness it. The medals were worthy of the effort by all as was the post race food. God willing, this is a race I would love to do every year. What a great way to continue the celebration of the birth of Christ, not by spending it in a mall but, by running a few loops with friends and supporting some fabulous charities.
TEAM 413 member Cheryl Shores
The boys from the "ranch"
These guys were completing their first half after training really hard. They were so encouraging to others. 
A fellow TEAM 413 member, Timothy Durk
My new "ninja" running look - praise God I was even running!!
My friend, Nii, leading a blind runner in the Marathon


No comments:

Post a Comment