Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Get back up

"Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past. "Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43:18-19


As I sat in my van Monday morning watching the rain come down (the marathon start was postponed an hour so we had nothing to do but wait), I watched as twice they reset the time clock to accommodate for the new countdown to the race start. I closed my eyes in silent prayer as I listened to the drops fall on my windshield and I couldn't help but think back on the many times that God had given me a "new start" - A time to begin again without being disqualified from this race we call life. How I would love to have a reset button every time I lose my temper, am unfair to my children, tell a lie or fail to help someone in need (too busy for that right?) and the list goes on... 


While we don't have a restart button, we do have something better.  We have the promise of a new start and a new life in Christ, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!".  We all have made mistakes and we,"all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23. And we all have a choice - we can choose to let the past define us or we can let Christ refine us. The first option requires us to trust in ourselves and what the world tells us, the second requires that we trust in Christ and what the Word tells us. Your choice will determine how you will live the rest of your life.

God is offering you a new start today. We can't take back anything we have done but we can change our life from this moment on. Psalm 103:12 says that, "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." I don't care how far or fast you can run, you can never and will never outrun the grace, mercy and forgiveness that Christ is offering you. He's offering you a chance to start over. Will you take it?

Heavenly Father, thank You for your unending mercy and forgiveness in our lives. We will always fall short of being like Christ but I pray that we continue to press on in our pursuit no matter how many times we fail. Let us remember that the failure is not in falling down but in staying down. And that every time You pick us up is another opportunity to share the good things You have done for us. In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy Running!!!

It's never too late to get back up again - Toby Mac


No comments:

Post a Comment