Monday, June 16, 2014

Focus on the Planner, not the plan

Focus on the Planner, not the plan


"We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps."  Proverbs 16:9



When runners talk about an upcoming race, they will inevitably talk about their plans to run it.  They study the course map, check the weather, plot their projected pace and dream about the finish line and the great finishing time they will have if only their "plan will just come together."  I'll admit it.  I'm guilty of it-or should I say was guilty of it.  I was always planning my life days, weeks and years in advance. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  I just chalked it up to luck.   But those were the days before I "took up my cross" as Matthew 16:24 instructs us, "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

After many races I "planned" only to have God "determine my steps" (inevitably different from my plans), I finally learned to embrace the fact that He puts me where He wants me in the race-He does all of us.  Sometimes that means an easy course or period in life,  but many times it's a struggle to the finish line.  Whether we like it or not, we sometimes have to go through painful times to be at a place to help others do the same.  These are the times when you "press in harder" trusting God who "gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."  1 Corinthians 15:57. And the times when you actually treasure a 4:30:59 over a 3:40:12 because you know, without a doubt, that you shared Christ (PR-personal relationship) which is more important than a PR (personal record)

James 4:15 says, "What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that." How much simpler life is when we give it to the Lord from the beginning.  Instead of making our plans, wouldn't it be easier to pray that His plan would be revealed?  Absolutely it would.  It starts with the first step.  Give him that one, and then another, and another..... until He has it all. He wants it all.  "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5

Heavenly Father, thank you for determining our steps and guiding our paths.  I pray that we would give all we have to serve You.  Thank you for loving us enough to show us the way to salvation.  May we show that same love to others as we deny ourselves, our selfish goals and ambitions to glorify You through our actions.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy Running!!!


Give it all.  He wants it all-Forever Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment