Thursday, June 12, 2014

How will you be remembered?

How will you be remembered?


"LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered--how fleeting my life is."  Psalm 39:4


I came across a story yesterday about Terry Fox, one I haven't thought of in a while.  It's the account of a man who died much too young but accomplished more than most people ever will in a lifetime.  In March 1977, he was 18 years old and a college freshman cross-country runner who went to the hospital with severe pain in his right knee.  Oh, how his life would change from that moment.  He was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (a form of bone cancer) and his right leg was amputated six inches above the knee four days later.  As God would have it, his high school basketball coach showed Terry an article about an amputee who ran the New York City Marathon.  Romans 8:28 reminds us that, "God works all things together for good for the ones who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose."  And what a purpose Terry had.  

Before he left the hospital, he had a plan to raise $1 million for cancer research by running across Canada.  On April 12, 1980, he dipped his leg in the Atlantic Ocean and made his way toward Vancouver.  He ran close to a marathon every day, followed by his friend driving a camper, collecting money from people along the way.  Unfortunately, around the halfway mark of his run, his cancer had spread to his lungs.  As he was wheeled out of the hospital, he told reporters, "Now the cancer is in my lung and I have to go home...I'll do everything I can. I'm gonna do my very best.  I'll fight.  I promise I won't give up."


Fox had run 3,339 miles in 143 days, about 23.3 miles a day. He raised more than $11 million for cancer research and died June 28, 1981, at the age of 22. “There was nation-wide mourning. Flags were flown at half-mast. But people didn't forget him and his story didn't end with his death,” writes the Terry Fox Foundation. “The first Terry Fox Run was held that September—more than 300,000 people walked or ran or cycled in his memory and raised $3.5 million.”  And 30 years later, the Terry Fox foundation is still raising money for cancer research.   http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/Sept/Terry-Fox-Marathon-of-Hope.html


“It was supposed to happen,” his mother said. “I believe he was supposed to get cancer. And do this run for cancer research. He wasn’t meant to … to live.”  What faith she must have had.  I pray this story inspires you to do what you can with what you have while you still have time.  Leave a legacy-make a difference.  As God reminds us in James 4:14, "Your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone."

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that tragedies can be turned into triumphs.  Rather than let the circumstances of life bring us down, may we turn to you, surrender our will, and allow you to use us as a testimony to your power, strength and love.  Thank you for working all things to our good if we will love and follow you with all we have.  In your precious name we pray, Jesus.  Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment