Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Still running


Still running

"So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come." Psalm 71:18

Harriette Thompson meets the press at the finish line of the Suja Rock 'n' Roll San Diego Marathon on Sunday

If you've been watching the news, you've probably heard the story of the 91 year old woman who finished the San Diego marathon Sunday. What an inspiration she is, not only because of what she did physically but her reason behind it-to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. In fact, she has been doing so for the last 16 years (has run 15 marathons in that time beginning at the age of 76).

You bet I had to find out more about her! Her name is Harriete Thompson and she is recovering from cancer. She told reporters that she had undergone nine radiation treatments in 11 days for skin cancer (a survivor of oral cancer too). She had the last treatment one month before the marathon which explained her bandages she said. Not only did she finish the race in 7 hours, 7 minutes and 42 seconds, she beat the previous record for her 90 and up female age group by 2 hours, 45 minutes. This lady is awesome! She is now the second oldest woman to complete a marathon in U.S history.

Per NPR news: She told the Charlotte Observer before the race that the only time she feels her age is after running a marathon. "Lots of times, I see young girls coming in and limping, hardly able to move," she said, "and I think, 'Well, that's pretty good that I don't feel that bad.' "

Thompson is a onetime concert pianist. She says the discipline of playing has helped her running and that she sometimes keeps pace during a race by replaying pieces in her mind. "I usually think of Chopin etudes, the ones that are technically difficult, because usually they're pretty fast, and it stimulates me to go a little faster, and also helps pass the time," she told WFAE.


Thompson runs, takes yoga and stretching classes and exercises on an elliptical machine. In her retirement community, according to the Observer, she's "one of very few residents who [move] at faster than a strolling pace."

What a testimony to what a person can do when they have a purpose. Here's her most inspiring quote per NPR news: "If I'm still here next year, I think I'll probably be able to train better and be in better shape, If I'm able, I'll try again." At 91, she's still striving to be better. Now, that's a lesson to embrace at any age.

Heavenly Father, whatever age we may be, please give us a purpose and a passion for serving You and others. I pray we spend our lives looking for ways to be a blessing and growing in knowledge of Your Word so we can share it with the next generation. Give us strength to serve You Lord and to keep the faith when things like cancer affect us. May Your will be done today and every day of our lives. In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.


Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org


No matter what, I'll continue to run. For the rest of my life because it's a marathon.-Jonathan Nelson





No comments:

Post a Comment