Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I surrender all

I surrender all  

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."  Romans 12:1-2



When I first began running races, I was what you would call a "Christian straddling the fencepost".  God had a part of me, but he certainly didn't have all of me.   It seemed I hadn't yet learned the art of surrender (surrender is actually a battle term that implies laying down your arms and giving all rights to your conqueror giving him all control). In fact, it took years of spiritual growth before I realized that nothing I had was truly mine.... especially my time or my talents. Ephesians 2:10 says that, "we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."   Regardless of any pride I had in my achievements, I was slapped with the reality that, if God had not allowed it, I would not have achieved it!  What an eye opener. 

Things have changed a lot since I competed in my first race.  With the ministry of TEAM 413, I now help runners.  I get all kinds of questions ranging from from tapering, speed work, distance and what races are good.  And of course, the answer to every question goes back to what Jesus wants for each person-His plan for you.  Here's the deal.  If you are a Christian, running is no longer yours.  Your time, talents and abilities were given to you by Christ as a way to serve Christ.   In other words, we are to surrender all we have to Him.   Merrian Webster defines everything as: all that exists.  It doesn't get any plainer than that.  

The ultimate goal for the Christian runner can be summed up by Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."   Such a life of surrender is not only pleasing to God, it will reap ultimate rewards in heaven-Rewards that no achievement, medal or trophy could ever compare to!  "Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man. “Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven." Luke 6:22-23

So, as you go for your run today, thank God for giving it to you.  Then pray for ways to serve Him through it.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for today and for all You have given us.  Help us to remember what a gift running is and to use it, and all our other abilities, to serve you and be a blessing to others.  I surrender all today.  Take me and use me.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.  

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment