Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Running Boston

Running Boston


"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."  Psalm 118:21


Yesterday was the running of the 118th Boston Marathon.  It was a truly blessed day.  Started off with a 5am alarm.  A little coffee and a lot of prayer while getting dressed and ready for the day.  What a day it was going to be!!!!  Down to the lobby to catch the 6am shuttle to get us to Boylston Street to catch the bus to Hopkinton for the start of the race.  Waited in the cold for a couple of hours while the elite runners got bussed first.  It was a great time to gather my thoughts and make some new friends.   What a relief it was to finally get on a nice warm bus (about 2 hours later) for the hour trip to Athletes Village.  Just enough time to eat a protein bar and relax with some friends, some new some old.

We got into our corrals about 1030 and started at 1100.  There was a record 36000 runners (11000 more than normal) so it was impossible to get a fast start, there was just no room to navigate.  No problem though, I knew God would put me where He needed me.  The entire race course was lined with spectators, bands, parties and the kissing coeds at Wellesly College.  It was a festive and happy occasion even with the extra security and helicopters flying overhead.

I must admit that there were many points in the race where I cried as I saw reminders of the tragedy of last year's race,  From the screams of "Boston Strong" to the shirts with pictures of the four that lost their lives, it was a reminder that every day is a gift.  Sometimes it takes a tragedy to appreciate it.  For a moment in Boston though, it seemed most everyone was reminded of that.

The day got a little warm and many runners were falling out (either walking, puking or doing both).  I have to admit I was feeling the effects of the climbing mercury as well.  Took a little extra time and drank extra water and made it to the finish line feeling I had done all I could do.  I was so grateful to finish.  Tears immediately flowed as I remembered those that didnt finish last year and the people still recovering from injuries.  I couldn't help but praise God for His mercy and grace as they placed the medal around my neck.  Thank you Jesus was all I could keep saying to keep the tears from taking my breath away.  I was done, I was tired and I was blessed.

There are many stories that I will share later.  I started the race with 10 bracelets and they were all gone by mile 17.  Each one I gave away has its own story.  God is good.  God is faithful.  And He is worthy to be praised.


Waiting in the cold to board the busses to the start. 

At Athletes Village passing the time and having fun before heading to the Corral. 


Quick pose before the start. Ready to go!!
And we're off. Slow moving for the first few miles. Sheri and I ran together for 11 miles and felt God calling us to different parts of the course. 


Team Hoyt- This loving father has been pushing his son, born with crippling Cerbral Palsy, in a wheelchair through countless marathons and races for 37 years.  This was to be their last Boston Marathon.
Finish Line pic with my son, Luke.  I was so blessed to share this experience with him.  I absolutely adore my children and I love this kid!
So glad to see him after the race.  This girl was tired.  

Truly inspiring-the man on the left is blind.    He is tethered to the his guides wrist.   They were maintaining a 9 minute pace like this for several miles.   Wow!!!



Heavenly Father, thank you for every day that you give us.  May we appreciate each of them for the undeserved gift they are.  I pray that we spend them helping others and praising Your name. In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.  

Happy Running!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment