Friday, April 4, 2014

The joy of the Lord

The joy of the Lord


Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”Nehemiah 8:10


Do you ever notice how some people seem to be full of joy no matter what they are going through while others have to force a smile when they win millions in the lottery?  As I was running this morning, and smiling of course, I thought how the world might see me.  From a worldly standpoint, I don't have much really.  I live in a modest home that's got its share of things that need fixing.  My van is nine years old and smells like a dirty sweat sock at times.  The interior has crayon marks and spots of grease from years of happy meals eaten on the run.  I'm not rich, (can we say humble earnings) I don't have a 401k and I have more on my to do list than on my completed list.  It seems the less I need, the happier I am.  

So, why the cause for joy?  Why the smile on my face?  Glad you asked, the answer is easy.   I wake up every morning forgiven and redeemed!  He is there.  Do you get that? The King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, El Shaddai, Yahweh... He keeps me safe through the night and greets me in the morning.   There's NOTHING in the world that can compare to the gift of God's presence.  And there's NOTHING in the world that can take it away!!!  Isn't that a reason to be happy? 

In Nehemiah 8:10, the people were encouraged to eat, drink and be joyful AFTER they had heard the law of the Lord.  They had listened to the teachings and wept in repentance.  They were joyful because they had heard the Word of the Lord and they understood it. When we understand the Word of God, it just brings joy.  But to understand it, you have to read it.  

The "joy of the Lord" is indeed your strength.  Read it, understand it, and know that God has provided His word to heal us and restore us.   That's the secret to true joy.  Knowing that God is all you need and then sharing that knowledge with others.  Wow!  Aren't you happy?!!

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that strengthens us and reminds us of your presence in our lives.  I pray that we will study your Word diligently so we can share it with others that it may provide joy and peace in their lives.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.  

Happy Running!!!


Turn it up!!




No comments:

Post a Comment