Monday, January 11, 2021

Gods plumb line

"Then he showed me another vision. I saw the Lord standing beside a wall that had been built using a plumb line. He was using a plumb line to see if it was still straight. And the LORD said to me, “Amos, what do you see?” I answered, “A plumb line.” And the Lord replied, “I will test my people with this plumb line. I will no longer ignore all their sins. The pagan shrines of your ancestors will be ruined, and the temples of Israel will be destroyed; I will bring the dynasty of King Jeroboam to a sudden end.” Amos 7:7-8 NLT




After taking a week off of running to cross-train while I rested and rehabbed a pulled hamstring muscle, I was super happy to be outside logging some miles yesterday; so happy, in fact, that I couldn't help but sing out loud as I thanked the Lord over and over for the gift of sweating in the cold, fresh air again. And apparently that overflowing gratefulness I felt caused me to sing so loud that I caught the attention of an older lady walking her dog who, ironically, has caught me singing praise songs on more than one occasion throughout the many years I've been running by her house in the wee hours of the morning. As she shook her head and smiled at me, I smiled back and laughed, imagining her saying to herself, "Some things just never change." 

And you know, while what's considered right and wrong might be changing by the minute, there is one thing that will never change.... God's standard of righteousness. You see, God has a plumb line—a string with a weight attached at the end that is used to show a true vertical—by which to judge His people. And that plumb line is the Word which detects all sins, both great and small. To put that into perspective, consider this... the Tower of Pisa is 12 feet, 10 inches away from being perfectly vertical, a leaning that is so blatantly obvious that it can be seen by the untrained eye. Yet, as things are being redefined today, people might say this landmark isn't leaning at all but just fine. But guess what? When the Lord uses His plumb line against the tower, the truth will be revealed... it is leaning! Sin is the same. No matter how it might be redefined, when measured against the Word, it will always be revealed as a transgression against God's divine law. 

So as you and I look at the world today, let us remember that we all will be tested by God's perfect plumb line and shown to be either straight or crooked. May He find us straight my friend. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the perfect and unchanging standard of your Word to measure ourselves by. Help us to know the Word that we might not lean in any way that is contrary to it and to recognize when the world redefines Your truths that we might not compromise in any way. Thank You for being the God who never changes. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment