Thursday, January 7, 2021

Rekindle the fire

"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16 NIV


Like many other people in the world, as the new year approached, I knew I had to do something different. Between the multiple injuries that kept me from running and racing for much of 2020, the massive unrest and divisiveness in our country, and having to deal with the stresses and life-changes COVID had caused at work and at home, I had become apathetic. I'm not quite sure when I started losing the blazing passion, emotion and excitement I once had for so many of the great things, people and projects in my life, I just knew that it was now seriously waning and I needed to get it back. So I prayed... hard. "Lord, forgive me. I realize that I have wasted some of the precious time you have blessed me with; time that was not mine to squander and time I can never get back. Rekindle the fire in me Lord so that I burn brighter for You than ever before and make the absolute most of the time I have left." 

And you know, there are many believers today who would also admit that the events of 2020 have caused their zeal, fervor and fire to wane... at least a little bit. But guess what? Today is the day that has to change. Why? Because you and I are undoubtedly living in the Day the ancient prophets foresaw and are drawing ever closer to the day that Christ will return. That means you and I have absolutely no time to waste and must make the "most of every opportunity" to do good and to win the lost to the foot of the Cross. Make no mistake my friend, "because the days are evil," we must be careful to live "not as unwise but as wise." That means we must be careful to faithfully, continually and wholeheartedly stoke the fire of our passion and zeal. 

So let us live the rest of our days wisely by considering the words of John Wesley who, knowing the incredible influence and power that passion and zeal had on the world, said, "If I had three hundred men who feared nothing but God, hated nothing but sin, and were determined to know nothing among men but Jesus Christ and Him crucified, I would set the world on fire.”

Heavenly Father, thank You for the timely reminder that apathy has absolutely no place in the life of a believer. We ask that You reignite our passion and zeal today Lord so that we would be emboldened and empowered to set the world on fire for You. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Burn for you - Toby Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment