Monday, September 28, 2020

Following Jesus is worth the sacrifice

"Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, mending their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him." Matthew 4:21-22 BSB

While logging some miles with one of my dearest running friends on Saturday, it was painfully obvious to the both of us that I wasn't nearly as fast as I used to be before taking up ultrarunning several years ago. Thankfully though, Jim, who I used to be able to match step for step, slowed down to my slower speed so we could enjoy several miles of good conversation before he went home and I continued on in preparation for an upcoming 100 mile race. And while I will admit that I sometimes miss the brisk pace I was once able to run, I know it's worth the sacrifice to run long distances. You see, speed and long-distance running don't go together. You have to give up one to get the other. And knowing that the racecourse is a missions field Jesus has called me to, giving up any 'thing' that keeps me from following Him is something I will never regret.

And you know, when it comes to giving up 'things', the Bible tells us that James and John "immediately" left their boat and their father to follow when "Jesus called them." They didn't stop for a moment to think of the things they would be sacrificing or leaving behind like their families, their livelihood and their careers. They only knew the Savior was calling them to come and work alongside Him; to step out into the missions field and become fishers of men. And you can be sure it's a decision they never regretted.

Perhaps you've felt Jesus calling you but you're not quite ready to give up that 'thing' or those 'things' that are holding you back. If that's you, make today the day that you "immediately" give them up and go where God is calling you. I promise that choosing to follow Jesus is a decision that you will never ever regret. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us so much more than we could ever imagine in return for our decision to follow You. Help us to see that You are worth more than anything in this world. Give us a view of eternal things Lord that we might not be focused on the temporary things we can see in this world. Remind us that You are the only 'thing' worth chasing after. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Come to the well





No comments:

Post a Comment