Tuesday, September 8, 2020

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-Look at the bright side

Hello runner friends! 
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog. Now let's get started by talking about something that can totally zap a person's motivation... injury. 

Always look on the bright side: optimists really do live longer | News |  The Times

Yes. I said the word no runner wants to ever hear or talk about. But guess what? Just because you don't want to talk about injuries, doesn't make them any less real. And guess what else? If you run long enough, you WILL get injured. It's just a fact. And while an injury may sideline you from running for a while, it is possible to keep your motivation high by looking at the bright side of things and keeping your eyes on the finish line. 



And just what do I mean by that? What could possibly be the bright side of an injury? Well first let's explore what bright side means. As defined by Merriam Webster, to look "on the bright side" is to look to the good part of something bad. What could possibly be a good part about being injured you might ask?


Well, let's look at what my amazingly encouraging friend, Sean Wilson, is going to be focusing on during the six to eight weeks he will have to stop running to allow a newly developed stress fracture to heal. But first, check out his post from early Saturday morning; keeping in mind that he was right on track in his Bass Pro Marathon training...


"I decided to run a half marathon this morning. At mile three I felt a pop in my right foot. I could have stopped and turned around but I'm glad I didn't. In life our desire is that things always goes our way without opposition. However, we all know that's not true, we will sometimes have to run our race while injured. I'm sure I will need this testimony for myself later down the line."

So Sean made the mistake thousands of other runners do every single day. He ran through pain when he should have stopped. But as we all know, there is pain that is safe to run through and pain that is not. And determining which type of pain you're experiencing can be hard to decipher sometimes-and sometimes only in hindsight. Which leads us to Sean's post later that evening...



"Well today started out well. I purposed to run a half marathon. Around the 3 mile mark I felt a pop in my right foot. So I stopped and tied my shoe tighter and finished the run. Well, I didn't know I fractured my foot. So, now I'm out for 6 to eight weeks. This is just a bump in the road and now I will focus on my diet even more to include push ups, leg raises, and hip flexor work. I will lose 25-30 more pounds during this hiatus. That's the goal and I'm going for it."

Did you see how quickly Sean made the decision to look at the bright side? This is the key to staying motivated my friends!! He has nearly eight weeks until race day. Eight weeks that should not and can not be wasted if he is to be ready for Bass Pro. He may have to drop down to the half and do the full at a later date; it will depend on what the doctors say I'm sure. But this is the point... Sean will be working on getting stronger and eating better during this time. And as he and I discussed, he will be doing non load bearing cross-training exercises to be ready for race day! 

So let's talk about three types of non load bearing exercises Under Armour says can help an injured runner like Sean keep his or her sanity and endurance while healing. But keep in mind that not all of these exercises are safe for an injured athlete. Ask your doctor which one is right for you depending on the type and location of your injury. 


1. Pool Running - If you’re injured and unable to perform any weight-bearing exercise, aqua jogging should be your go-to method for maintaining fitness. Of all types of cross-training, pool running is the most running specific. This means it is most similar to actual running in respect to your movement and biomechanics.

You can replicate just about any type of running workout in the pool, from tempos to intervals to long runs. So what’s the down side of pool running? It’s not terribly exciting especially if you’re trying to push through a 2-hour long run. But if you can hang in there with a little monotony, you’ll see the benefits when you’re able to hit the road again.

* On a side note to this, I'd love to give my personal testimony on the effectiveness of pool running and pool workouts specific for runners. In 2016, I was eight weeks out from my third Boston Marathon and developed peroneal tendinitis. I was crushed! My tickets were bought and hotel paid for. Thankfully a wise friend suggested doing all my training in the pool as she had done herself due to injury. Another wise friend who was also an elite runner and retired podiatrist (I am blessed with so many running friends to say the least) said this, "Melissa, you can indeed train in the pool. Wear a walking boot at all other times. It will hurt to run the marathon because you will have done no pounding but it can be done if you're willing to endure the pain." And you bet I was! It was indeed gut-wrenching but by God's grace I finished the race under cutoff. And that experience not only led me to teach pool running to others but to incorporate it into my training plans. I have used it since to rehab many other injuries with great success. And a bonus to the monotony and time alone? It helps a runner develop mental grit and the ability to run alone for hours on end (things necessary to be successful in ultra running).

2. Cycling - Cycling is another type of cross-training that is particularly runner specific. Because it is a non-weight bearing exercise, injured runners can often cycle pain-free. Like pool running, it provides a perfect opportunity to replicate workouts such as tempos and intervals. 

Cycling helps strengthen the quads, outer hips and glutes, which all tend to be weaker in runners. When replacing a running session with a cycling workout, 10–15 minutes on the bike is roughly the equivalent of running one mile. Try to keep your cadence at about 90+ RPMs (rotations per minute), as this helps mimic a running stride.


3. Elliptical - A third cross-training option that is also runner-specific and low-impact is the elliptical. Working out on an elliptical closely mimics your running movement with little-to-no impact on your joints. Make sure to use enough resistance to get your heart rate elevated for an aerobic workout.

Like pool running, ellipticals can also be a little monotonous. An alternative, if available, is the ElliptiGO bike. A number of elite runners, including Meb Keflezighi, have used these as a supplement to their training. They have all the benefits of an elliptical machine while allowing you break the monotony and get outside.



But remember, cross-training is not just for the injured athlete. Regular cross-training can help keep you free from injury as well! So incorporate it into your routine along with regular strength training. You'll be so glad you did! 


And on a final note, I'd love to share Sean's latest post to his running family  that will have you smiling... 
"I'm still moving forward. Battles can be won in more than one way therefore, be willing to adapt and overcome. I know that this group is filled with overcomers. Be encouraged and pray that the Lord gives us the strategy to overcome the current test. Be blessed!! We win!! It's all in motion. Clean eating, spiritual enrichment, mental stability, physical fitness and caring friends. Thanking the Lord for the good people in my life."

Sean is not giving up on his goal and neither should you! He is simply using different avenues to get there. This is how a person looks at the bright side! Remember that old saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat?" Well there's more than one way to train for a race too! Keep that in mind as you make the choice to look at the bright side of things.

Happy Running!!!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment